Birchwood Cottages is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all residents, employees and visitors. Through the pandemic our communities have enhanced their current protocols and implemented new procedures to increase the effectiveness of our infection control practices.
We will continue to diligently follow the guidance of the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to mitigate the spread of COVID and other illnesses in our buildings.
All of us at Birchwood Cottages give a heartfelt thanks to our residents, families, and visitors for the ongoing support, and understanding during this challenging time.
Together we can keep our communities healthy and safe!
Visiting Birchwood Cottages
We are happy to inform our families and visitors that appointments are no longer required to visit our communities. All visitors entering the building will be screened by having their temperature taken and checked for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
We do ask that if you are feeling ill, have been exposed to COVID or other illness and/or have any symptoms to visit at another time. Entry will be denied of those with signs or symptoms or those who have had close contact with someone who has COVID-19 infection in the past 14 days, regardless of the visitor’s vaccination status.
If you are unsure if it is safe to visit, please reach out the community for guidance.
- Required PPE: All visitors to the community must wear a mask properly when outside of the resident’s apartment. Essential Caregivers are to also wear approved eye protection.
- Visiting Considerations. When coming to the community, please be mindful that early morning, meal times and late evening are when our team members are fully occupied with providing personal cares and dining support for residents. This makes it difficult to answer the doorbell in a timely manner and there may be a more significant wait time until someone can grant entry and complete the screening process. Please plan your visit accordingly.
Testing & Outbreak Status
If a new case of facility-onset COVID-19 is identified among residents or staff, Birchwood Cottages, as a health standard of care, will immediately begin weekly outbreak testing of residents and employees until there have been 2 rounds of no new positive cases.
In the event of a COVID outbreak in one of our communities, and following current MDH requirements, there may be temporary changes to the visiting protocol of that community during that time. Any changes will be communicated to all residents and their families.
During Your Visit
We ask your cooperation in continuing to follow the below for preventing the spread of COVID:
- Frequent Hand Hygiene. An alcohol-based hand rub is best, unless hands are visibly soiled, then soap and water are recommended.
- Properly Wear a Mask. All visitors are required to wear a well-fitting facemask that fully covers the mouth and nose.
- NOTE: Although masks are no longer required in many public settings, healthcare facilities are held to a different standard. All visitors and staff members must wear a facemask regardless of vaccination status, per MDH and CDC guidelines.
- Social Distancing. Please practice social distancing by staying 6 feet apart as appropriate in accordance with current MDH guidance.
Enhanced Infection Control Practices
In addition to our already comprehensive infection control practices, our employees are taking additional steps to ensure the safety and health of all those in our communities. This includes:
- Cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces in the facility, and designated visitation areas after each visit.
- Wearing face masks, protective eyewear and other needed personal protective equipment.
- Screening before starting shifts.
- Participation in ongoing education on COVID, and infection control practices.
- Routinely screening residents for signs and symptoms of illness.