Person Centered Household Activities
At Birchwood Cottages, residents can enjoy the little things that make a difference in their lives. It is our belief that by performing the routine tasks of daily living helps people preserve their self-esteem and dignity. Residents are encouraged to help with meal preparation and clean up, housekeeping chores, laundry and even grocery shopping. This focus allows our residents to maintain a nearly-normal lifestyle centered on familiar household routines.
We encourage a connection to nature and the outdoors by growing vegetables and flowers in the summer. We are able to enjoy our own tomatoes, green beans, peas and cucumbers. Residents are able to help water the flowers and harvest the vegetables. We also feed the variety of birds that come to our feeders and bird baths!
Other activities include reminiscing, memory stimulation, sensory stimulation, favorite games, story-telling, pet visits, music and much more. The goal of Birchwood Cottages is to provide residents with an opportunity to have "normal" days.
HOW DOES PERSONALIZED MUSIC MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
- Beloved music helps to reduce depression and anxiety and can also moderate pain.
- Musical favorites tap deep memories and can improve quality of life.
- Participants are happier, more social and receptive to care and family visits.
- Personalized music can help reduce reliance on anti-psychotic, ant-depressant and pain medications.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Anyone can benefit from the power of listening to musical favorites. As we build our program, we will be able to offer this to all who are interested. Often effective for a variety of impairments and disorders:
- People with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia
- Individuals who are bed-bound, on dialysis or ventilators
- People with chronic pain
- Those receiving hospice care
You can help! Please support our MUSIC & MEMORY program and give new life to someone you love.
For more information, please visit www.musiccandmemory.org.
"Despite the enormous sums of money spent on mood and behavior altering medication that are often not particularly effective, nothing compares to these iPods when it comes to improving quality of life." - Tony Lewis, President and CEO, Cobble Hill Health Center, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Live 2 B Healthy® seeks to inspire older generations to live longer, healthier lives.
“The residents have worked hard their whole lives. We believe it’s now time for them to enjoy life. Working side by side with each and every resident, Live 2 B Healthy® helps improve balance, coordination, flexibility, muscularity, stamina. As the body becomes healthier the spirit can soar.” – Cory Czepa, Live 2 B Healthy® Founder & CEO
A few of the many benefits of regular physical activity:
The result is increased strength and endurance (as evidenced by our physical tests) as well as increased emotional resilience and sociability.
- Enhanced flexibility and balance
- Better circulation
- Lower heart disease and blood pressure, resulting in lower stroke risk
- Improved sleep
- Improved cognitive skills
- Reduced medications
- Renewed energy and endurance
- Decreased joint and back pain
- More regular bowel functions
- Declining depression and anxiety, improved day-to-day well-being
“Exercise training cannot restore tissue that has already been destroyed, but it can protect the individual against a number of the chronic diseases of old age. More important, it maximizes residual function. In some instances, biological age is reduced by as much as 20 years. Life expectancy is increased, partial and total disability are delayed, and there are major gains in quality adjusted life expectancy. Exercise is thus a very important component of healthy living for the senior citizen.” — Dr. Roy J. Shephard, M.D., Ph.D.